Thursday, May 1, 2008

i am not alone

Psalm 63:1

"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water."

Isaiah 40:29

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak."

Isaiah 40:31

"but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Jeremiah 31:25

"I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint."

Matthew 11:28

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

 

I'm feeling very alone and weary today... Just one of those day I guess.  I found it a great comfort to open my Bible and find a plethora of verses about comfort for the weary.  Even after reading though I still couldn't help but feel like I was alone in the world... Like I was shut out and left on my own.  I decided to revisit an old favorite of mine: I am not but I know I AM  by Louie Giglio.  I searched the pages for my favorite passage and was immediately comforted by the overwhelming sufficiency of Abba Daddy:

 

            "When you're questioning, needing, searching, wondering, asking, and struggling, you will find His sufficiency at the end of every desperate prayer.  When you cry out all the thing you are not, you'll know His answer is, 'I AM.' 

            For every cry, there is one answer:

I need help.

I AM.

 

I need hope.

I AM.

 

Who could possibly be smart enough to figure this out?

I AM.

 

What works?

I AM.

 

What lasts?

I AM.

 

What's the latest thing?

I AM.

 

What's the hippest thing?

I AM.

 

I need a fresh start.

I AM.

 

I need a bigger story.

I AM.

 

My vision is bigger than my resources.

I AM.

 

Nothing's real anymore.

I AM.

 

Who can I trust?

I AM.

 

I'm not sure who's on my team.

I AM.

 

Nobody's listening to me.

I AM.

 

I don't have a prayer.

I AM.

 

My marriage is sinking and I don't know where to turn.

I AM.

 

I can't hold on.

I AM.

 

My kids deserve more.

I AM.

 

I'm pouring into others, who's pouring into me?

I AM.

 

If [I] fail, who will get the job done?

I AM.

 

I'm not sure why I'm here.

I AM.

 

I've given all I can give and it's not enough.

I AM.

 

I'm tired.

I AM.

 

I quit!

I AM.

 

I can't!

I AM.

 

I need a drink.

I AM.

 

I need a fix.

I AM.

 

I need a lover.

I AM.

 

Somebody just hold me.

I AM.

 

            And what does this great I AM say of Himself? He says to you and to me: 'I am the way, I am the truth, and I am the life.  I am the resurrection and the life.  I am Savior. I am Jesus-- the solution, the restorer, the builder, the answer, the Wise One, the Coming One, the Mighty One.  I am the Lord and there is no other.  I am God and there is none besides Me.  I am the First and the Last.  I am Alpha and Omega.  I am the Beginning and the End.  I am the Lord, that is My name, and I will not give My glory to another, or any of My praise to idols.  I AM THAT I AM, and that is My name-- My memorial name to every single generation.'"

 

 I am not alone. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bree!

Well long time no talk! I can't believe you had major surgery!!! What was it about? Hope everything is ok.

College is definitely a time when many things change, especially majors haha. Anyways, we definitely need to catch up and I am coming home on the 16th of this month so we will have to go to lunch or something. It was great hearing from you and I look forward to our catch up time.

Rich said...

Bree -

I just wanted to thank you. I have read your blogs over the past few months and God has used them (along with others) to get me out of a valley and climbing a peak.

THANKS!