Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A call to love

I read a quote today in my quiet reading time and it has infected my soul.  

"We treat others as we perceive God is treating us." Max Lucado

How do I treat others?  And is that really how I think God treats me?  I found that I am not wholly pleased with the way I treat others.  I realize that I pass a lot more judgement than I am entitled to pass.  And I hold grudges.  And I am nitpicky about things that don't really matter.  And I gossip about the people I love.  And I get angry with the people I love.  What the heck.  I just want to love.  Love like a crazy person.  I want to love because that's the only thing I can do.  And that is how God treats me -- He loves me uncontrollably.  

This quote totally convicted me.  I've been called to abandon judgement and love unconditionally -- especially those who are hardest for me to love.  You know the paradoxical commandment: Love your enemies.  It's not going to be easy, but I'm done treating others any less than how God treats me.  And you know, I will never be able to love as much as God loves because my heart just isn't big enough to contain that kind of love.  But I'm gonna try.  

No comments: